Easyling Release Notes April, 2022

The weather is getting nicer and nicer. As a result, annoying cyclists, such as myself, started their summer-long takeover of the streets of Budapest, wrecking havoc in traffic. I say let them have it as long as we can continue working on Easyling. This month’s updates didn’t add any new flashy features but included tons of fixes and improvements to existing features. The main highlight is that it is now possible to upload SVG files as resource translation just like it is possible with PNGs or JPEGs. See the details after the jump.

SVG upload

Scalable Vector Graphics files are a tricky bunch. It’s very easy to mistake them as images, but the underlying structure is XML-based. As a result, it wasn’t possible to treat them as images on the Dashboard. You couldn’t upload one as a replacement. We had the hacky workaround of adding the translation as a content override (it’s just XML, so you can just enter the source code) then using link replacement to localise the SVG. With this month’s update, it is now possible to just upload SVG files on the Resources section as if it was an image file.

I’d also like to take this opportunity to apologise to the person who had a ticket regarding this open with us. We are sorry this took this long.

Site search

Our localised site search implementation uses asynchronous requests to query our services for results. As the results aren’t served through the same domain as the translated sites, the appropriate Cross-origin (CORS) headers must be set. With the move to JavaScript-based translation and the possibility of using it via subdirectory publishing, figuring out the correct origin to add got quite a bit more complex and grew beyond the scope of thethe previous version of the algorithm. This month, we released an update that addresses it, by using the project’s publishing information to compile the set of origins permitted to access the search function.
This way, even projects published via the proxy or using our basic publishing features can leverage a localised site search - after some coding.

Miscellaneous

This may have been the first time I managed to spell miscellaneous for the first time without looking it up. But it’s not the first time we have this section for the smaller fixes we added this month. See them below.

  • We fixed an error where it was impossible to create Simplified CSV page list exports on projects with over 1000 pages.
  • During the link mapping process, hostnames are now converted to lowercase. This ensures that a link pointing to Example.com on example.com works according to the URL specification.
  • We fixed an edge case where if an error occurred during the email sending process after an import, that was incorrectly considered to be an import error.
  • The pre-translate process was enhanced so that it can handle large quantities of data. This way, you’ll be able to machine translate large sites completely without issues.