Easyling Release Notes December, 2021

Happy new year! I hope your holidays were just as fabulous as mine. The first half of December was rather productive for our team. We purchased all the Christmas gifts for the holiday season, fixed a few bugs in the proxy and added a great new feature: Mass link replacement. Read the details after the jump!

Mass resource replacement

Have you ever had to replace a ton of resources to ensure that a site is fully localised? If so, I assume you realised that it’s quite a hassle to do one by one. Enter mass resource replacement. With this new user interface, you can specify a list of URLs to replace and their replacements both as URL lists. If you just need link replacement, not resource uploading, this will simplify your task considerably. You can find the wizard just under the Pages list on the Dashboard.

The wizard has four steps:

Mass resource replacement - step 1

On the first step, you select the target language(s) that you wish to work on.

Mass resource replacement - step 2

On step two, you input the list of resources that you wish to replace. Links must be validated so that they are in the Pages list.

Mass resource replacement - step 3

Step three is for adding the translated URLs. Make sure that they are in the same order as the source resources were in the previous step.

Mass resource replacement - step 4

On step four, you can review the replacements. If everything is OK, click Start translation.

XTRF

The translation proxy can integrate with XTRF to manage the XLIFF files to be translated. We tweaked the integration to make it easier to use. Notably,

  • Quotes created by the proxy don’t have to be automatically accepted

  • We can either zip the XLIFF files before sending them to the XTRF project or send them unzipped, one by one.

  • It’s not mandatory to specify the workflow any more.

  • Project start and end dates had to be specified before. They are now dynamic so that you don’ have to keep changing them.

Bugfixes

Naturally, we fixed a few bugs in December:

  • A bug was squashed when a Work package was set to automatically export the content to XLIFF files. In an unusual edge case, some segments were missed out from the XLIFF files. They should now all be included. Additionally, the Work package generation algorithm was tweaked to prevent a timeout for extremely large pages.

  • In November, we released added new security-related headers. We tweaked them to ensure maximum security on the Dashboard.

  • We found a bug where the search and replace feature in Snapshots didn’t work well with particularly old Snapshots and fixed it.

  • Our JavaScript-based translation engine, CREST, has a feature where it can report segments that it doesn’t have translations for. Unfortunately, as the script runs in the browser of the end user, we have a lot less control over it. As a result, some translated content may be reported as source content without translation. We found an edge case where this happens and fixed it. Note that this only applies to projects that use the new CREST as opposed to the legacy Client-side translation. The legacy feature can’t report untranslated segments at all so the fix isn’t applicable.

  • We have an extension for Google Chrome called CREBBL. This uses the same technology as CREST but it’s aimed for sites where adding the one line script for publishing isn’t possible. We squashed a bug where the language selector would crash.

  • We fixed an error that came up when actions based on various HTTP response codes were defined for the responses coming from the source server, and then all of the actions were removed.